Special Business Bulletin No. 91
On June 18, 2015, Canada’s Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness, the Honourable Steven Blaney, highlighted the Royal Assent of the Common Sense Firearms Licensing Act.This legislation amends the Firearms Act and the Criminal Code.
The news release published by Public Safety Canada provided the following information:
Effective immediately, these changes to the Firearms Act and the Criminal Code do the following:
- Make classroom participation in firearms safety courses mandatory for first-time licence applicants;
- Provide for the discretionary authority of Chief Firearms Officers (CFOs) to be subject to the regulations;
- Strengthen the Criminal Code provisions relating to orders prohibiting the possession of firearms where a person is convicted of an offence involving domestic violence; and
- Provide the Governor in Council with the authority to prescribe firearms to be non-restricted or restricted (such prescribing would be informed by independent expert advice).
Within the next several months, upon a date fixed by an order in council, the following changes will come into effect:
- Creation of a six-month grace period at the end of the five-year licence period to stop people from immediately becoming criminalized for paperwork delays around license renewals;
- Elimination of the Possession Only Licence (POL) and conversion of all existing POLs to Possession and Acquisition Licences (PALs);
- Authorizations to Transport become a condition of a licence for certain routine and lawful activities such as target shooting; taking a firearm home after a transfer; going to a gunsmith, gun show, a Canadian port of exit; or a peace officer or a Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) for verification, registration or disposal; and
- Sharing of firearms import information when restricted and prohibited firearms are imported into Canada by businesses.
Father’s Day What is your Ultimate Gift?
- What are you planning on doing for Father’s Day this Sunday? Are you spending it at home or at the range? With the family or not?
- Well I will be thinking about all the fathers that have valid ATTs and are at the range.
- No idea.
- Starting with Church at 11am, then heading to the range from Church and meeting up with my Dad. Going to send a lot of lead down range. We will have three generations of Hatch’s representing!! Followed by a bbq and probably a couple cold ones and just spending time chatting in the back yard.
- Range, alone.
- Rebuilding an engine on a dirt bike for a friend of mine.
2) What would be the ultimate Father’s Day present for you to go in your range bag, gun cabinet or on your guns?
- More Ammo
- All of the parts and tools necessary to build an M1 Garand in .308
- I’ve been so focused on getting a pink gun for my daughter that my AR build has been put on hold. So since I get to be a bit selfish here… I would say some AR parts to add to my build.
- Three EoTechs
- I’d like my wife to take me chootin. Den take me out to a steak dinner. Then we can catch some night crawlers with my girls. We can finish the night catfishing next to a fire on a riverbank.
Show Music: I like Guns by Steve Lee